AIDS Leadership Foothills-area Alliance
To improve the lives and health of those affected by HIV/AIDS while preventing transmission through education and testing.
Eliminating stigma and barriers to care to create a future free of HIV.
- Achieve early detection and care through HIV/STD counseling, testing and referral
- Engage in targeted prevention efforts with persons who are at high risk for HIV infection and people living with HIV/AIDS to reduce secondary infections
- Get individuals who are newly diagnosed as HIV positive into medical care quickly
- Keep clients in medical care
ALFA is a United Way agency and serves the Appalachian Mountains and foothills of rural Northwestern North Carolina: Alexander, Alleghany, Ashe, Burke, Caldwell, Catawba, Lincoln, Watauga and Wilkes counties.
ALFA’s lead partner in providing comprehensive care for clients is the regional HIV medical clinic, Fairgrove Primary Health, a department of Catawba Valley Medical Center.
In 2019, ALFA has provided the following services to the community so far:
- 5,745 People educated on the pervasive issues around HIV/AIDS
- 500+ People counseled and tested for HIV
- 200 People living with HIV/AIDS served a variety of support services
- 4,000 Meals provided to clients